Monday, October 9, 2023

 Unresolved Conflicts


When I sit down to write a devotion, I don’t always have an idea of what to write.  But then life happens and God shows me what to share as He teaches me thru my own quiet time.  Have you ever been in a position where there was a misunderstanding and for some reason you were not able to resolve it?  I hate that.  I’m the kind of person that needs closure.  I need a resolution - doesn’t matter if it is a good ending or a bad ending - I just need an ending.  Many times I have found myself in that exact situation. 

God calls us to live peaceably with others.  Romans 12:18 says “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.”  We are to do what we can to resolve a situation.  But there comes a time when we have done everything and still there is no closure.  That’s when God does the rest.  Romans 12:19 goes on to say: “Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give peace to wrath; for it is written. ‘Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,’ says the Lord.” If someone has wronged us and we have done all we can to make it right between us and we haven’t succeeded, then God will take care of it.  We may never see the outcome, but we have to trust that He will do what He says.

But there are also times when it isn’t a serious matter- maybe it is just a little misunderstanding between friends.  You will still be friends regardless of the outcome.  But there is still something inside that picks at you.  Time and time again you recall the misunderstanding and it annoys you because there is no resolution.  These are the times that probably bother us the most. 

Another verse, Ecclesiastes 3:1 which is “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven”.  I realized that when I am having unresolved situations, that it is just for a time. Eventually I will either forget about it and move on or it will get resolved.  If it can’t be resolved because my efforts have failed, then I go to Jesus.  He will comfort me while I am dealing with the situation.  There are times when the other person will come to me and the situation will get resolved.  Other times, I have no closure but God has given me comfort and peace and even though the situation isn’t resolved I have the peace as if it was.  Also in Ecclesiastes 1:2 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.”.  “Vanity of vanities” – What will all this matter in the future?  It will not matter at all.

Psalm 46:10 - “Be still and know that I am God.”  Can I be still and allow God to fight my battles?  Can I trust that He has my best interest at heart?  Absolutely.  I have a responsibility to do my part but I must leave the rest to God and allow Him to resolve the conflict.  The hardest part of doing is when we are told to do nothing.  Remember - “if it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men” and then after that “be still and know that He is God”.


No comments:

Post a Comment