Wednesday, November 22, 2023


What are you thankful for?


If the only things you had today were the things you thanked God for yesterday, what would you have?  Ouch!  Now that is something to think about.  Have I thanked God for the roof over my head, the clothes on my back or the food on my table?  Did I thank him for my spouse, my kids, my friends?  Did I thank him for waking me up this morning?  If I didn’t thank Him for those things yesterday, then I would not have any of it today.  So many people think that we only need to thank God for the “extra” stuff, not the everyday stuff.  God provides both – extra and everyday.

1 Thessalonians 5:18:  in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
In EVERYTHING give thanks.  Not just some things, but everything.

1 Chronicles 16:34:  Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!  For His mercy endures forever.

Ephesians 5:20:  giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ

Giving thanks ALWAYS for ALL things.  At the end of our day, we should be thinking about all that we have received.  We woke up, got dressed, ate breakfast, drove to work (if not retired), picked up supplies on the way home . . . did we give thanks for any of that?  If we got a great parking spot, did we give thanks for that?  If we found a great sale on the items we needed – did we give thanks?  God is the God of the ordinary and the extraordinary.  And He blesses us in so many ways that we may miss some of it if we aren’t paying attention.

Most people will say “thank you” when they are given a gift or when someone gives them a compliment or holds the door open for them.  But it shouldn’t stop there.  We are to be thankful for everything, everyday.  So back to the question:  If the only things you had today were the things you thanked God for yesterday, what would you have?  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment